Sunday, January 6, 2008

Baby With(out) a Bottle

This morning I photographed the worship service at Fountain of Life Church of God in Christ for the Gainesville Guardian. While I was there, I saw this 8-month-old boy sitting off to the side. At first he was just staring at me, so I made a few frames and went on to something else. I walked by him again a few minutes later, and he was holding his bottle. Once it fell to the ground I waited for him to turn back towards me. I knew he would stare at the camera and make the frame.

It's been a while since I shot a religion piece for the newspaper, so I was excited to see what images would come out of it. As I drove to the location I realized that two of the pictures on my Web site came from Guardian assignments. One shot is of a woman crying, the other is of a mother touching her son on the shoulder.

It took several tries to find the church once I arrived at the address. Apparently, there are four small churches in the strip mall. The first church I walked into was holding a Haitian service. They seemed surprised that I showed up, and I thought it was odd the newspaper would send us to a service we couldn't understand. But if they had done that, it wouldn't surprise me.

I realized I was at the wrong church, so I went to a second church. After a few minutes, someone from the church I was supposed to be at found me and took me to the right location.

No comments: