Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Tri-X Flashbacks

Over the years I have shot a few rolls of Tri-X, the industry standard black and white film. The new story I'm working on is in a dark gym, so I shot at ISO 3200 and then convert to black and white. The noise in the digital files reminds me of the grain in Tri-X.

I am really happy with the above frame of Coach Murphy surrounded by the players. They all recited The Lord's Prayer before practice today and I think it's a good moment. It's been a few weeks since I worked on this story, and I'm happy that I get to work on it again tomorrow.







2 comments:

Tom McCarthy Jr. said...

It's funny to see you talking about high ISO shots in dark gyms. Around here at the Post-Dispatch you are fondly remembered as a photographer who lights high school basketball games. I like that first frame. You're right, nice moment.

Jarrett Baker said...

Odell liked to rip me on my lit basketball shots, because he said they looked pretty, but I didn't always have the moment! For game-action in the paper, I light everything.

While I was working on the wrestling story, Sid Hastings and I decided that non-lit action worked best within a documentary, since everything away from the action uses ambient light.