Saturday, July 14, 2007

Babysitter Boot Camp

When I started in Jacksonville over a month ago, our DOP, Dede Smith, gave me a pamphlet listing all of the local summer camps. I'd be lying if I said I was excited.

Back when I worked in Sebring, a lot of my summer was spent working on summer camp picture pages. Unless the camp is unique, has interesting participants, or is just plain different, I struggle with making great pictures.

Armed with the list, and the knowledge that I would have to shoot at least two or three camps during slow weeks, I set to work finding the "cool" camps. A few weeks back I hung out with some kids building dog houses and learning about construction.

Thursday and Friday, I hung out with 10- to 15-year-olds that were becoming Red Cross-certified babysitters. I was only supposed to go on Thursday. But not much happened while I was there, and Friday was slow, so I went back.

It was fun to watch the kids enthusiastically share stories with the instructor and answer her questions. It reminded me of myself growing up.


No comments: