Friday, February 9, 2007

Rubber Ducky Man

















Wednesday morning I was sent to photograph ice rescue training on a suburban St. Louis lake. It has been unusually cold around here the last few weeks - and the lake was coated with about six inches of ice. Coincidentally, two kids were rescued after falling through ice the night before - which gave us a news hook, or reason to go take pictures of the training.

I like taking tight shots of faces - though a lot of times they aren't published. I thought the ice on this trainer's gloves captured the cold they were working in.

I arrived near the end of the exercise. The men training in the water were wearing what looked like yellow, rubberized dry suits. From a short distance away, the suits looked like the ones that Coast Guard rescue divers wear. But when the firefighters came to shore, I noticed their suits weren't waterproof. I thought it was cold on shore ... it had to be incredibly freezing in the water.

No comments: