Sunday, September 9, 2007

Week Two Regressions

In coachspeak, a football team makes the most progress between weeks one and two. That mantra does not necessarily apply in sports photography. I was really happy with my photos from the Florida vs. WKU game.

This week, I tried shooting with a 600mm lens instead of a 400mm. I had mixed results. I shot from field level in the first quarter and from the first level of the south endzone in the second quarter. At halftime, the light had dropped too much to use the f/4 lens.
The plan was for T-U staffer Rick Wilson to shoot the first half and then edit. I would take his 400mm f/2.8 and shoot the second half. Instead, I stayed in and edited as well.
Rick and I talked a lot about sports editing and shot selection. While I'm getting nice action shots, I need to focus more on getting the key play (several of which I captured nicely). Once it comes time to edit, the key play goes first - just like when editing high school sports on deadline. It's an easy correlation to make, I just hadn't done so...

And from this point on, unless it's a very late game, I won't stop shooting at halftime - even if the score is 49-7.


No comments: