Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Rolling The Dice

Today was my second day at the Florida Times-Union, and it was my first day on the street. I shot two assignments in St. Augustine. The first was at a skate park for a story on boarders who raise money to help their city or county build them a park. I hung out for about an hour and a half and got some cool snaps. This shot didn't make the final edit, because the editors felt it wasn't the best way to illustrate the story, but I think it's a good sports shot.

What do you think? Do you like the horizontal or vertical better? Drop me a line ... jarrett.baker[at]gmail.com.
The second assignment of the day was at the St. Augustine airport, where a terminal is being constructed for the new low-cost airline Skybus. The building is made out of tubular steel and tensioned fabric, so it's kinda like a miniature old O'Dome. It's just not the same in there now; in the old days, whenever a person would walk into the O'Connell Center at UF, they were hit with a rush of air. (The roof was supported by air pressure)

There was a conveniently-placed lift near the site, so a man named Ryan took me up to get a better view.

No comments: